Synesthesia – one sensation conjures up one or more others.... a neurological condition in which two or more bodily senses are coupled... Perhaps these synesthetes are more creative than the general human population as they understand the world differently because of their linked senses. Sometimes I think I am a psuedosynthete, which really should be the equivalent to being a musician... especially if you can read between the lines. ...between the lines = bad musician joke.
But in all seriousness now, if your senses are intertwined, then won't you have greater sensations when experiencing? Especially in comparison to the common human. It is true that experience is what creates the differences between us, and it also makes it impossible to ever absolutely understand one another without the use of metaphor. Even the simplest metaphors are used every day, slang and daily chit chat.
Randomly back to the question what is art, and does the medium matter? One may argue that the medium does not matter, where the same content is displayed through several different mediums. They will argue that the intended audience will take away the content independent of the medium. A blue dot, or whatever the content may be... I disagree. The medium does matter because it affects the way we experience. It changes our sensations by the way it is conveyed to us. Seeing a blue dot will be a completely different sensation than hearing a blue dot, or than feeling a blue dot. And with each person's senses developed in a slightly different way over time, each experience is different. Especially if you truly are a synesthete and in that case, I will envy you for it.
Perception, experience, fractions and waves. That's all life is.

1 comment:
Um, if I recall we finished that damn art debate once and for all in David's class.
Post a Comment